• Hallo Bezoeker, Het is ons opgevallen dat je nog geen bericht gemaakt hebt! Waarom neem je niet even de tijd om jezelf voor te stellen en nieuwe vrienden te maken.

Himedia Q5 4K android player

Skank

19 feb 2013
Earth
Een review:

To make this player work as it should, you need a 'wrapper' APK that forces Kodi to use the HiMedia player as the external player, and if you care about Dolby ATMOS, you need to install another update file to make that work (but, my hardware version unit wouldn't accept it). Read previous pages of this thread.

All my videos tests were via wired SMB from a Synology NAS. As with other Android devices, I was unable to add specific folder shares via NFS via Kodi.

Plusses of the Q5 4K 3D:</strong>
  • Excellent PQ (I set my player at 1080p/60, and enabled 24fps)
  • Excellent AQ (DD, DTS, and TrueHD & DTS-MA 5.1 and 7.1 bitstream fine)
  • Player menu/UI navigation is faster than VidOn (but, slower than Fire TV)
  • 3D works excellent (frame-packed, and SBS, top/bottom)
  • Ability to switch 3D left/right eye is there (missing from VidOn)
  • Nice BD-lite menu (ability to select subtitles, chapters and playlists)
  • No membership/subscription cost as with VidOn
  • Motion bars tests: 24, 59.97 and 60fps all perfect
  • 23.976 not supported, but I didn't notice frame skips every 42 seconds (need to watch full movie to verify)
  • Can use any version of Kodi or SPMC
  • Remote's range is decent (better overall than VidOn's improved remote)
  • Bitrate tests: Jellyfish up to 100Mbps plays smoothly (no stutters); Birds up to 90Mbps plays smoothly (no stutters)
  • Fairly snappy player (not Chromebox or even Fire TV fast, but definitely better than VidOn)
  • Kodi UI is 1080p; posters, etc. look great
Minusses of the Q5 4K 3D:
  • Abysmal official HiMedia support (but, very helpful users, forums)
  • No Dolby ATMOS with certain hardware versions; not known yet for certain which ones (on mine, no ATMOS)
  • MPEG2 (1080i/720p) playback isn't smooth (HiMedia player)
  • Player menu/UI is bloated with useless (at least for most of us) Chinese content apps
  • No proper 23.976 support (but, frame skips not noticed)
  • When playing videos via Kodi, you sometimes briefly see HiMedia wrapper app in between (so, not as seamless an experience); takes 5-10 seconds (sometimes a bit more) to cue up and play the actual video
  • With HiMedia player, after video ends, it automatically plays next (instead of stopping and going back to Kodi)
  • No watched flag in Kodi with external player being used
  • UI/menu in half-Chinese, half-English (Q5 is obviously taiolored for Chinese markets)
  • Remote is in Chinese (but, can mostly make out which button does what); no 'stop' button (which is weird; must press 'OK', then choose to stop)
  • Kodi locks up sometimes, especially when doing multiple things at once (like navigating around while updating library)
<strong>Other observations:

• Power on to main menu is about 33 seconds (not bad)
  • Watched a 3D BD-ISO rip for about 15 minutes w/o issues, but need to watch a whole movie
  • Sideloaded Amazon instant/prime works (but, I think video is capped at 480p like with Netflix)
  • Sideloaded Tablo TV app (used in conjunction with my Tablo DVR) also worked fairly well
More to come as I find time to do more testing. Let me know if you guys want me to test anything I've left out. Still need to test VC-1 and non-film based videos (like concerts). I also plan to install an alternate Android launcher to improve the stock HiMedia launcher/UI.

Laatst bewerkt door een moderator:

Skank

19 feb 2013
Earth
Die box is echt de beste kodi/android box tot nu toe! 4k, 3d, atmos.. alles icm kodi Geen windows/driver stuff, gewoon go with the flow

broodro0ster

Administrator
Home-Theater Goud
24 apr 2014
Atmos als je chance hebt met uw hardware en wat prutst heb je Atmos
1f61b.png
Zo KISS is het precies niet. En NFS sharing werkt precies ook niet :p

Skank

19 feb 2013
Earth
Ik werk al altijd met SMB zou niet weten waarom ik nfs nodig heb. Atmos werkt wel op voorwaarde dat je in EU besteld, en daar wonen wij toch dacht ik :p Als je trouwens nog een mede8er zoekt, je vind ze overal, ze gooien ze naar je kop :p Uiteindelijk stapt iedereen toch over :p

Stiibun

19 feb 2013
Skank zei:
Een review:

To make this player work as it should, you need a 'wrapper' APK that forces Kodi to use the HiMedia player as the external player, ...
En hier haak ik reeds af
1f606.png

Plug and play dat in zeker geval niet. En een mediaspeler moet dat eigenlijk wel zijn, wil niet zitten klooien met van alles en nog wat ... ik wil films en series kijken
263a.png

Skank

19 feb 2013
Earth
Die wrapper is gewoon klik install en gedaan he Zo'n analfabeet ben jij toch niet :p